Monday 5 March 2007

White Guys and Expats

I've always had people tell me, "You know, you look like someone who would date an ang moh or end up marrying one." I'll be like HUH? Do I freaking look like an SPG? (no offense to those who are currently dating ang mohs, not saying that you're one... but to each her own.) I seriously don't know if it's meant to be a compliment or as an insult. I guess, I can't blame those remarks to fly in on a regular basis, maybe it's due to the way I speak, but I'm far from having the "TAN" (I'm allergic to the sun coz i get eczema if i bake in it.) Truth is, it's hard for me to date a white guy! Don't know the reason why? I guess it's like food you know, why some people can never eat certain foods.

Ok just in case if some of you are wondering, if I actually dated white men before. Yes I have, 2 of them in fact, and have got quite a few ang moh friends. Don't get me wrong, they are the perfect gentleman and have beautiful characters, but I can never picture myself with a white guy or see myself ending up with one for the long haul. I get weird spasms internally. There was this one time I dated an English fella who revealed that he liked me, and wanted to be more than just friends whilst sending me home, I literally hyperventilated when I got home! Needless to say, I didn't continue our friendship thereafter.

To-date, I am still baffled by my own reaction and thoughts about white guys. I guess the 'weird spasms' may be stemmed from the horror stories that we all read from the media and books of how Singapore is known to be the 'fantasy island' for some of these white guys where they are here to have fun and go home. It could also be due to my mother's constant harping that white men or expats for that matter, can never promise you the stability of being able to live in Singapore for good. Maybe I'm still a leftist on this issue and maybe I've never met a white guy/expat who is willing to go against the odds to be with the one he loves.

In any case, there have been many success stories about women finding love with white guys/expats and end up marrying them. Whenever I read such stories, I would think to myself, "Not all hope is lost..." OK that said, just let me be, I'm still for the home-grown dudes!

I have however, some of points about the white guys/expats that I appreciate:

1. Appreciation: They just have a way with words. They will compliment the lady if she looks good, how she wears her hair, her smile, her make-up, her dress etc. They are sharp and would notice little details about women.

2. Gentlemanly disposition: Open the door, pull out the chair for the lady etc. (Old school but honestly simple gestures like these would make lady feel special.)

3. Articulate: Knowledgeable and is able to converse on all levels. They also have an ability to maintain an open mind about things.

4. Make the effort: Sometimes I really wonder who's the Singaporean here. I mean they seriously would go do their research to look up the best restaurants (doesn't mean the superbly ex ones) that serve up the best cuisines! Some of them will whip up a storm for you! (I ever had a Korean dude whip up the perfect breakfast, strawberries and champagne no less!) ;)


~ Lara ~

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i have to say not all hope is gone... my bro-in-law (in 5 days) is a French expat... He is a fantastic guy! Eats spicy food, loves our local dishes.. he even loves bua ku luak... but the one thing he never got used to is durian.. it's like poison to him... but he's really great, funny, romantic, makes the effort, perfect gentleman, great chef, loves our dog, dance the rock & roll haha... i used to not like white guys... but having spent time knowing him i realise other than our culture n skin color, they are very much like us... we just need time to adjust...

but oh well.. i'm married to a very chinese guy whom i absolutely love :D not so romantic, but i love him still haha...

Anonymous said...

That was a compliment. It just means that you're too good to hook up with some "let's watch Starship Troopers" / "I live with my parents, but come over my place for a nightcap anyway" / "HDB flat prices just dropped, this is a good time to get married" sg guy.

Having said that, good luck with the white "I'm here to revive the singapore economy" elitist-can't-cut-it-at-home wanker.

peace.

Anonymous said...

Not that there aint white man who are willing to go all out for the one they love.

On the contrary, white men are more likely to pursue the things/ person they love, they are less practical and more passionate than the Asians.

Perhaps you havent given enough time for the rs to develop to the stage of "i will do anything to give you stability" stage.

All sacrifice comes w time.

Having said that, I second lemming, Made in Singapore is good! or at least Made in Asia (minus China please).