Tuesday 13 March 2007

Age Is But A Number

"Age is but a number" - Ladies, ever heard of this phrase articulated to you before? Don't know about you out there, but I sure get this alot. Maybe it's my youthful appearance that I seem to attract younger men.

Just the other day, one of my girl friends who doesn't quite know of my social circle, happened to know a mutual guy friend of mine. She saw our picture taken together on a casual outing and said, "OMG, do you know that he's only 25?" I was laughing, and shot back, "Well he's not the youngest, I've got one who's 24 yrs of age who has a crush on me!" (Of whom I've been constantly asking him to go look for someone his own size.)

Yes, this is a compliment. But it will be difficult for me to pursue a relationship with a younger guy.

So far, the dating scene has been quite challenging for me. If I am allowed to classify the groups of men who are interested in me, here's the list:
a. Players
b. Commitment-Phobes (Generally the career-minded or the money-chasing ones)
c. Younger men (falling within the range of 1 to 5 yrs younger)
d. Nerds/dweebs (nice simple guys who are far from what I'm looking for in a guy)

OK, back to younger men... I've dated enough of younger men to say that I will not consider them as a potential boyfriend or a husband-to-be. Not unless they are able to prove that they possess the following traits:
a. Maturity
b. Stability
c. Intelligence
d. Initiation

Please note that the list mentioned above was derived after quite a few headaches with them. Just to mention two instances:

Guy A (3 yrs younger) - Ended in 5 mths:
- Possess some level of maturity but lacks the stability.
- Lives all the way in the WEST while I in the EAST. We hang out mostly at his place, but going back home was always a financial killer. Staying past midnight makes things even worse. He doesn't even have the initiative to pass me some cash for the road. :(
- Just starting out on his career... so finances quite unstable. Most dates, I end up paying.
- Intelligence - Gives bad advice, bad suggestions, or tell me things I'd already know. Constantly asking me what I mean by certain phrases or words... (Nuff said)

Guy B (2 yrs younger) - Ended in 3 mths:
- Articulate and stable but very insecure.
- Always saying this to me,"Tell me you love me" or asking me why that particular day I didn't say that "I miss him".
- Immature: Picks any topic to argue. But the point is, his arguments never made any sense to me and his thoughts were incongruent. So more often than not, our arguments were never about the "argument topic" itself.

OK maybe I haven't met a younger guy who seems to complement me in all areas.

But for now, I'm contented to only date someone decent, complements me and preferably older please.

~ Lara ~

6 comments:

Ribena, SeamonkeY, Lara and 6th Sense said...

erm... my hub is 2 years younger than me...

(a) MATURITY
not a major issue coz i'm immature myself.. so we balance up :D

(b) STABILTY
he's by far the most stable person i dated n marry :D

(c)INTELLIGENCE
def higher than mine. not so street wise.. but tat's ok coz i'm not so intelligent.. so we compliment each other.

(d) INITIATIVE
decreasing by the days but i can oversee tat coz he sayangs me all the way... no initiative to surprise me but plenty of initiative to take care of my every need. i figured that is more important hehe...

MY CONCLUSION
at the end of the day its not abt finding the perfect mate but finding someone who is willing to spend the rest of his life loving u and accepting u for who u really are, vice versa. i used to hear people say when u find the right one u just noe it.. n i often wondered how.. now i have to say it.. u will just noe it...


ribena - married 1 year, 1 mth

Anonymous said...

Yes we are all happy for you. :) It's just that so far, i've not quite had that great an experience with younger men.

~ Lara ~

Anonymous said...

I think when you feel comfortable with that person, it tells it all!

Anonymous said...

younger or older never mind... as long the feeling's right emotionally, physically, spiritually, mentally... then go for it!

i have witness a couple... 20 years apart... as in girl 20 years younger than guy.. can be daughter kind... but i see them so happily married, so in love, so contented... age really doesn't matter anymore...

Ribena

Anonymous said...

Yes agree about having the right feelings on the emotional, mental, physical and spritual front. But what if it's a case of a lady much older than the guy (6 to 10 yrs). It is gonna be weird. If the guy's much older i guess it's cool, if the table's turned, i wonder how many women will be able to accept that realistically.

Anonymous said...

erm i also have a fren who is 10 years older than her husband. not quite sure how she handles it, i got a shock also when i found out. the saving grace for her is that she looks his age, so on the front that seems ok...

ribena