Tuesday 13 March 2007

Waltzing for Two

Playlists on iTunes are like the mixed tapes of the 80s.

Mixed tapes were all the rage then, you are what you listen to. Thanks to Steve Jobs, putting a playlist of your favourite songs is made so much easier and cooler. Like any self-respecting iPoder, I have playlists for everything. For working out, when you feel like wallowing and yes, even for a wedding. There, I've said it. Now you can give me that same look of horror the folks at work gave me when I announced it in the office the other day. Not because I want to be the wierd chick who desperately wants to get hitched legally, but I have been to enough weddings where they play the most woeful songs as the happily-married couples walk down the aisle to be permanently perturbed. Not a good start, people.

And like Hiro on Heroes, I vow to make a difference. I can't bend time and space but I sure can share my list of appropriate wedding songs. Here is my playlist (to date), usable for all types of weddings...beach, garden, in a Ghanian village (together with the necessary drumming of course), your typical Chinese dinner and the occasional too-sloashed-to-remember ones.

SeamonkeY's Playlist - Waltzing for Two

1. Gold To Me by Ben Harper
2. By My Side by Ben Harper
3. Marching Bands of Manhattan by Death Cab for Cutie (for the fact that Kenneth Cole put this on repeat mode when I introduced the band to him)
4. I Will Follow You Into the Dark by Death Cab for Cutie (this is the most morbid song ever with the cheeriest melody. Love this to death, really. But man, does he have a lot of emo issues or what?)
5. Kissing You by Desiree
6. #1 Crush by Garbage
7. Iris 'live" by Googoo Dolls (I'm not a fan of them but you should really hear this 'live' version of Iris)
8. Siyaishaya Ingoma by Idan Raichel (yeah yeah, I have to have at least one 'world' music piece right?)
9. Better Together by Jack Johnson
10. Banana Pancakes by Jack Johnson
11. Constellations by Jack Johnson
12. Dream a Little Dream of Me by The Mamas & Papas
13. Fade Into You by Mazzy Star (classic scene of Ryan carrying up a unconscious Marissa in Tijuana, not knowing if she is dead or alive..ahhh, the drama of young love)
14. Star Witness by Neko Case
15. I Wanna Get Married by Nellie McKay (I swear I have no idea how this got into the list ;p)
16. Vanilla Sky by Peter Gabriel
17. Little Star by Stina Nordenstam
18. Gypsy by Suzanna Vega
19. Put Your Arms Around Me by Texas
20. Breathless by Texas
21. One Day by The Verve
22. Wouldn't It Be Nice by The Beach Boys (Mello and Jon-Jon doing the "Ellen" springs to mind)
23. (I Don't Know Why) But I Do by Clarence "Frogman" Henry
24. Digital Love by Daft Punk
25. Time after Time By Dilana of Rockstar fame (does far, far, far more justice than the Cyndi Lauper's version)
26. At Last by Etta James
27. This Guy's In Love With You by Harry Connick Jr.
28. Acrobat by Maximo Park
29. Wonderwall by Ryan Adams (ok, this is a tad woeful but its Ryan Adams!)
30. Make You Feel Better by Red Hot Chilli Pepper
31. Modern Love by Sunshiners (the cheesy track to dance to)
32. All I Want Is You by U2
33. Tupelo Honey by Van Morrison
34. Land of 1000 Dances by Wilson Pickett

The Waltzing for Two Playlist is up for grabs at no fees whatsoever. I'll be happy to burn you the CD. Just promise me no more Boyz II Men at your wedding.

~SeamonkeY~

No comments: