Saturday 31 March 2007

Of Roaches and Men

I don't get how some men are actually terrified of cockroaches. How did they even get through the National Service? (I actually had the boys telling me, "No, no cockroaches what!") And to think that they are going to defend our nation... care to think what will happen if part of the 'weapon of mass destruction' included cockroaches in its equation? Don't know why I tend to meet men who have got phobia with cockroaches. I remembered during the days with my ex of 3 yrs had me running around his apartment in Australia with a piece of rolled-up newspaper on my right hand, which eventually became a routine. And somehow it must be the Australian air, the insects are twice the size of those found in Singapore.

In my office, we do get the little nymphs running around occasionally. So don't be alarmed whilst you're frantically typing your document, this little bugger conveniently climbs up to your keyboard to take a little peek at you. That was what took place last Friday on my colleague's desk...

Colleague: "OH NO!"
Me (at my desk): "What?!"
Colleague: "There's a cockroach!"
Me (at my desk): "Kill it, Lah"
Colleague: "I don't kill cockroaches."
Me (at my desk): *stumped*
Colleague: "Aaarrrgh, GOSH, ewww..."
Me (at my desk): "What's your problem?" (Took, 3 pieces of tissues and marched to his desk)
Colleague: "Why are you taking the tissues for?"
Me: "Kill that bugger la"
Colleague: "But why must use tissues?"
Me: "If I don't use tissue paper to squash that lil bugger, do you think he will die?"
Colleague: "But that will leave the 'juice' all over at my desk!"
Me: *stumped* (Squashed the nymph and walked away)
(Thought to myself, I've really got nothing else to say to this guy! And not even a "Thank you!")

I rest my case...

~ Lara ~

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wah u so gung-ho?? I would have sat there and scream my lungs out if it was HUGE one (esp the flying ones!)...silent scream if its a small harmless one!

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty cool with roaches, give me lizards and it'll be a whole different story... :D But i was just miffed to see a grown-up man afraid of roaches, and to think that they don't even bite.

~ Lara ~