Tuesday 3 April 2007

A Social Misfit

Last Friday, (probably in an effort to sooth my feelings of abandonment on Friday nights) Kenneth Cole asked me to come along to one of his friends gathering. It was the one-year birthday celebration of the daughter one of his mates from university and I went, with the determination to get to know these folks better.

For starters, his clique is tight. Real tight. They meet one another over games every weekend – the husbands along with their wives. To say that I'm feeling disconnected from them is an understatement. I practically feel like a child. Most of them are married (with kids or in some state of procreation) and I've noticed that the non-marrieds (apart from KC) never bring their girlfriends.

The last couple of times when I joined them, I slipped through with just the skin on my back by talking to the non-marrieds. The marrieds usually huddle together dispensing tips on pregnancy, diaper changing and the ever-changing trends of toddlers fashion (seriously people, consider letting your kids go naked until the age of 3). No non-marrieds were in sight last Friday. Doomed, I started texting people to call me in a bid to show that I actually can converse like a normal adult. Just my luck everyone was out having a good time and didn't realise I was crying for help.

OK fine, the fact that I was feeling a bit bummed out that day and didn't have my social-game face on may have put them off from talking to me.

One of the wives does belong to another group of friends I have and her husband (from KC's uni clique) have joined my friends for some initial get-togethers. He is unusually, to the extent of excruciating quiet at our gatherings but completely different with his own friends. The irony is (and I may have over read this in a desperate attempt for some form of eye contact), I thought I saw a knowing look in his eyes, like he's been in the same place before. Yes, we may have a connection there. And I felt a bit better after that.

I solemnly promise to try harder the next time round and brush up on my attitude towards kids. Gawd, I hope KC doesn't feel the same when he joins my friends.

~SeamonkeY~

No comments: