Monday 25 June 2007

Mrs. Goh Chok Tong

Do you remember how Mrs. Goh Chok Tong looks like?

So that was the burning question running through my head when I was at the one month's celebration of my friend's baby yesterday. She's a friend of mine who married Kenneth Cole's friend and, in fact it was at their wedding that I met KC.

All things good and well, the kid looked pink and healthy and didn't really kick up a fuss (an 8/10 on my scorecard) and as I was hanging out with my own friends at the gathering, I feel like Mrs. Goh Chok Tong. Not in the I'm-the-wife-of-a-major-politician-sense, but the damn-they-dun-remember-my-face-for-me-sense. Can you recall Mrs. Goh's maiden name? Can you remember a single memorable thing she did on her own (I'm sure she did plenty but I just can't recall!) beside that remark she made during the NKF saga about monkeys and peanuts? If you were to pass her by the street and SM Goh wasn't beside her, would you have recognised her? My point was, KC wasn't at the man yue yesterday – when I saw his friends whom I've already met a few times, I immediately felt like a piece of the furniture.

Beside Mrs. Goh, I thought about this other girl that the office folks and I know through work. Till today, I still do not know her name and only know her as XXX's girlfriend (then). The last time we bumped into her at the T Awards, all I remembered was damn, this girl looked so familiar but I just couldn't place her...until another mutual acquaintance introduced her as "Hi, this is Girl, XXX's ex-girlfriend." Imagine being labeled for life as that.

What I should have done was to put on my smile and said hi to everyone. If Lara was there, she would have made me do my rounds of curtsies and not let me eat my bee hoon unless I finished my tour of duty. Again, I strive to do better next time then, plenty of chances I'm sure, the babies keep popping anyway.

~SeamonkeY~

No comments: