Sunday 17 June 2007

Fowl Play

Being back at Hoi An again is a different experience. Actually I wasn't sure I was back in the same town as per the last Danang trip I took with Kavan and Tigress. Last time, we were so nuah that we spent the whole of the three days by the pool of Sandy Beach Resort and only left the hotel for half a day to visit Central Market. It took me three trips to Hoi An Town this time before I recognised it.

First rule to visiting Vietnam is not to eat chicken or eggs which both me and Kenneth Cole promptly broke as soon as we board the plane from Changi Airport (which by the way, getting on the plane is another post by itself). Even after Ems SMS reminder. We tried our best by not having chicken but not having eggs during breakfast is too much for me to bear in the morning. I. Need. To. Have. My. Eggs. Its not really a big thing here. Everyone here likes their fowl and it didn't seem like a big thing (the irony is, the English national papers here just announced the 17th bird flu outbreak here yesterday).

After resisting the bird for the first few days, we chanced upon a chicken rice stall by the streets yesterday. The stall is located in an alleyway with low tables and kids plastic stools. There may have been rats but its really too dark to see. The Vietnamese seem to enjoy it - why should we mind, right? As like the rest of the Vietnamese dishes, the rice came with basil and it was also topped with sweet onions....kind of added an interesting twist to the dish.


Maybe it was the fact that I was sick of pho, or craving for something Singaporean but the first rule didn't even cross my mind. It was only after polishing off the third plate of rice between us that I realised that we just had chicken. Well, at least it was pretty good chicken rice.

~SeamonkeY~

No comments: