Tuesday 29 May 2007

*Traumatised Lara*

I have NEVER EVER in my XX yrs of life argued with a taxi uncle, till this fateful evening! After a long and hard day at work, i decided to call a cab and call it a night. My cab ride came rather promptly.

Lara: *States destination* please.

Uncle: Go by *states route*

Lara: OK can! And Uncle I'm sorry. I don't have small change, i only got S$50.

Uncle: Aiyar... I just changed [note: he said he just changed] but no, i don't have S$50 change.

Lara: Er like that how?

Uncle: *Spoke in a-matter-of-fact, couldn't-care-less attitude* Later drop you at petrol station then you change loh.

Lara: HUH? But later when i reach home, it's gonna cost me S$15, surely you will have change what.

Uncle: No don't have.

Was thinking to myself... if he sends me to the petrol station, he takes the extra mile, wouldn't that actually cost me more money? I was rather tired, and i dozed off a little in the cab. Before i knew it, uncle said, "Miss, go down and change money." We were at the friggin petrol station! He actually made me to go through the trouble of changing my money when he had change. I said, "Wah LAO" before going down... Like it or not, i went down anyway. Felt rather stupid! Luckily i spotted my usual SHAPE mag, bought it and broke my S$50 bill.

When i got into the cab, i said in a normal tone, "Uncle, next time maybe you should try to have change before you accept a 'on-call' customer." GOSH, after i said that, ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE!

Uncle *loud tone*: "Eh You think what? You think you work in CBD area you think you are BOSS ah? You think you study very high means you are very high up there, ah? You only think about yourself! You never think about the taxi driver. You all think you customers are always right. You go and complain la, you think i scared of you ah?"

Note: All these while Lara was silent and shocked. Until he said the phrase that was the 'pin that broke the camel's back'.

Uncle *still in his loud tone*: "Eh you don't think i no brain ok. I say YOU ALSO GOT NO BRAIN!"

Lara *in a very serious tone*: Excuse me Uncle, I have never said i never respect you. I also never i look down on you. For your information, I have NEVER ever argued with a cabby uncle until today. You actually said that I got no BRAIN? Eh uncle you are very mean! Since when did i ever say YOU GOT NO BRAIN? Uncle, how can you insult me like that?

Uncle *still in loud tone*: Rude? Who is rude? Just now you came into my cab you shouted your destination. I already know your kuan.

Lara *Shocked*: Eh uncle, I have NEVER raised my voice at you uncle. I even said "please". What's your problem?

Uncle: *Mumbles to himself*

SIGH... Maybe i shouldn't have said "Wah Lao", but he did have change, it's just that he doesn't want to use all of it at one go. But i think he was too much to say i don't have brain. :( He friggin insulted me and scolded me. I didn't deserve it at all. I am still feeling a lil sore and a lil traumatised. But, I am not about to complain about this uncle, because this is after all his rice bowl.

Does it pay to be nice sometimes? Maybe... hopefully...

~ Lara ~

5 comments:

bHappi said...

wow... eventful trip. have a good rest 2nite.

Anonymous said...

Lara,

Here's my story to make yours look junior high.

Many years back when I was still a undergrad, I doubled up as a private tutor.

It was a new assignment and my first lesson was at this JC kid's landed property somewhere in the east.

It was pouring like the heavens decided to irrigate the earth for eternity. (Of course it's raining, all these drama stories involve rain, right?)

After fifteen minutes in the rain I finally flagged down this cab and told the cabbie the address.

All good, he grunts yes and off we went.

Till we reached the estate, that is. Then the fun begun.

"You know where or not?"

"Er... uncle, I dunno leh. I just have the unit number."

"Like that how to find?"

(Cue scary music.)

So we went around the area for like ten minutes, with the meter merrily ticking away, and finally we found the unit. Fantastic.

I read the fare of the meter, it was 9-something so I paid a ten dollar note and waited for my change.

"Eh, I help you find this place in the rain and you still want your change??"

"Huh?"

"You cannot tip me isit?" *Believe it.*

"Uncle, your meter says..."

Before I could even reason with this cabbie-turned-tip-demanding-Italian-waiter, he goes ballistic.

"Get out of my cab! You think you very 'sat' isit?"

I needed no further encouragement. I got off the taxi immediately.

"Your money I also dun want! Nah take back your smelly money!"

He then proceeds hurl my change at me and on the pavement. And drives off in a huff, leaving me stunned, furious and wet.

And that, boys and girls, is your first lesson in Anger Management 301

Anonymous said...

fab trading of worst-ever cab stories, man! i get such mild cab drivers hahaha. good stuff.

Ribena, SeamonkeY, Lara and 6th Sense said...

:( Aw man! That sux! Wish that'll never happen to me. But still... hate it when i get insulted for nuttin.

SIGH... problem with these drivers are that they are filled with so much deep-buried angst! I do empathise with them esp with the behaviour of the general S'poreans.

OH well... But thks for sharing!

~ Lara ~

Anonymous said...

Whether its Anger Management 301, 302, 303 or whatever enlightment you are getting from some adman, here's the reality... That's the very DNA of Singapore culture, the very essence that we live in where the human value has been degraded to such extend. Shame is an understatement.

There's 2 things you can do, accept this & move on or not accepting this and be bitter about it everytime you get into a cab.

Daily Dose