Wednesday 5 September 2007

Curse of the Wisdom Tooth

I've been hit by the worst curse ever! The 'Curse of the wisdom tooth'... Well it's not cos i have got to have it extracted, rather, i'm having a severe gum infection as a result of my upper and lower wisdom left tooth. Here's the thing, if i'm overly stressed, haven't had enough of sleep, coupled with the foray of my over-indulgence of dark chocs, ice cream plus the ever so wonderful food... i would essentially land myself in big trouble, i.e. the Gum infection. IT's all related Gums, wisdom tooth, lack of space... oh well you get the drift.

Here i am seated in my room... really wishing i was back at work. All in all, i've been given a total of 5 days of MC. So i feel really bad because i've left my team at work to hold the fort and i can't be part of the excitement. Call me workaholic but i've always been plagued by the irrevocable "R"... Responsibility. Hence, been having quite the guilt for being away from work for that long.

I'm miserable... i have never been in so much pain and never had so many jabs (other than when i was lil i.e. 5/6 yrs)... that will be in 25 yrs of my life.

Yes i was having syntomps of the gum infection late last week, and up till Sunday afternoon i was still fine... I took my dad out to Waraku (which was excellent). Things took a dif turn on Sun eve when i was out with the Roo to watch the movie "1408" (which btw, was pretty gd). There was an almost burning sensation happening to my gum... by the end of the movie, it was so bad that i had to scram home without having dinner. To cut the long story short, here's a quick summary:

Mon AM:
- Woke up with a swollen left cheek the size of a Ping pong ball
- Headed for the dentist immediately and was given abt 3 or more jabs to bring the swelling down... also darn the nurse for having to put so much pressure on my mouth whilst taking the x-tray.
- Was told that the severe gum infection was due to my wisdom tooth and had to get it extracted. But they can't do anything cos my mouth was still swollen.
- Collected the medicine from the auntie nurse:
Auntie Nurse: "Come i give you strong painkillers!"
Lara in Pain: "I'm allergic to Aspirin, you sure i can take?"
Auntie Nurse: "You wait ah..." *runs to into the doc's room* OH doc says CAN!
Lara in Pain: "Mmmmrph... ok"

[Was given 2 days MC]

So went back, had lunch and ate the medicine. Lo and behold... at 6pm, i woke up with a SHOCK! Where on earth did that BULGE on my right eye come from? IT started to itch terribly.... Imagine this: Ping pong ball sized cheek and swollen goldfish eyes... Aiyeee... Was totally badly disfigured!

I decided to go see my family doc who was just downstairs my block. Had to totally SIAM all forms of glares, least they start to think that "The Aliens have landed on earth".

I brought the medicine my dentist had given me that morning to show my doc. One look, he knew it was the painkillers that gave me the goldfish eyes. He immediately made me take an antibiotic jab and gave me a round of anti-histamines to take for the eye.

Note to self: I'm never going back to that dentist to do my teeth/gums ever again! Dang that auntie nurse!

[Given another 2 days MC]

Tues came round, i called my Doc as the antibiotic jab i had on Monday doesn't seem to be working as fast as i hope it would. Turns out the effect wasn't instantaneous... And he advised me if by Wednesday, the swelling and pain were around, i'd may have to go in to get a dbl dosage of antibiotic jab.

Sigh... Wednesday (today), sad reality is that although i'm slightly better... but it's not recovering as quickly as i hope it would. The goldfish eyes have gone away.... i'm still left to fend the Ping Pong ball cheeks.... I went anyways for the jab... Doc gave me another 2 more days to rest at hm....

Ok call me paranoid... but i've just made an appt for tmrw with the dentist that my bro and sis-in-law goes to, which apparently, did quite a good job on both of their teeth. Reason? I'm just worried that there might be some pus somewhere beneath the swollen gums, that may be left to rot... And i just want to be 100% safe. God knows if i'm going to be jabbed more tomorrow... but this week is definitely one jabbing painful week for me...

~ Miserable Lara ~

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

a frivolous though amid all that pain...but who is roo? :)